The 50plus


Helpful hints: Replacing cookers, hobs and ovens

The replacement of cookers, hobs and ovens is an increasing bugbear for our customers. Many are buying installation with a replacement appliance only to find the supplier finds a reason not to install it and needing 50plus to resolve the problem. Here are the basic rules.

Gas appliances:

  • Should be installed by a Gas Safe registered person as they are trained and have the equipment to undertake the necessary tests required in law.
  • Require a 13A power socket nearby, usually within 1.5m, to plug into to provide ignition. There must be no sockets or switches on the wall above the appliance and the wall should not be papered. The appliance installation manual will also specify the minimum clearance above (for a cooker hood) and to each side of the appliance, often known as a 'hot zone' where there must not be anything flammable or switches/sockets.
  • Need an adequate gas supply that must provide enough pressure to the appliance and any others installed on the premises.
  • Gas appliances need an adequate gas supply that must provide enough pressure to the appliance and any others installed on the premises. If you have had a combi boiler installed since you last changed the hob this can means a 22mm supply pipe is required in the premises. Look for a regular water pipe to a basin tap, that's typically 15mm; check the gas pipe is larger than this and if not ask a gas person to check the installation.

Electric hobs and all electric cookers take a lot of current and as such must be hard wired to a cooker circuit which needs it's own supply from the consumer unit/fuse box. Hobs can share a cooker circuit with a regular electric oven. A cooker isolation switch and a wall outlet plate are required.
Single electric ovens can be plugged into a 13amp socket but may also be hard wired. If the appliance comes with a 13amp plug many installers will require a 13A socket to plug it into, even if the previous oven was hard wired. Double ovens need to be hard wired.
Dual fuel cookers (gas hob, electric oven) usually require a 13A socket to provide power for the oven and power for the hob ignition.
What is not acceptable:

  • Hard-wired cables coming straight out of the wall plaster; a wall outlet plate is required
  • A cooker switch and/or socket on the wall above the cooker or hob, it will need to be moved (applies to gas and electric installations).
  • Gas installations without adequate ventilation.

Finally if a hob is being installed remember to check the cut out in the worktop. The required size is specified in the appliance specification or manual. Most require a standard cut out for the hob size but some older appliances can vary. There are 'work arounds' for cut outs that are too large but the work needs thinking through before an appliance is purchased.


Contents1 picture


Read the latest features


Contents2 picture


Just for you:
members offers


Contents3 picture


Great prizes: your chance to win!


Contents4 picture


Improvements and repairs



Quick contents guide


Cover page



Features archive








50plus Help site



Contents5 picture

advertising a1




Contact The 50plus Magazine

The 50plus Magazine is produced for The 50plus by 50plus Publishing Ltd.

Illustrations (c) Can Stock Photo, The 50plus Organisation Ltd and 50plus Publishing Ltd.
Content copyright 50plus Publishing Ltd
For information on cookies, copyright, terms and privacy click here.

Chesham, England
Phone: (+44) (0)1494 784 448