It was 20 years ago
As a special concession we mark two 50 year events. Back in August 1967 Britain said farewell to many of it's favourite 'pirate' radio stations as the Marine Offences Act came into effect. Radio Caroline soldiered on and despite a series of trials and tribulations including it's ship sinking, continues to broadcast today with main, flashback and occasional North channels on its recently granted 684 Khz AM frequency, the Internet and from time to time from the restored historic radio ship Ross Revenge. The result of the market void was the the creation in the September of Radio 1 (mostly with ex pirate DJs) and as part of the wider BBC radio re-think Radios 2, 3 and 4.
It was 20 years ago:
- Diana, Princess of Wales died August 31st following a Paris car crash
- Her 6th September funeral was watched by an estimated 32 million people
- John Major said a political farewell with his Prime Minister's Resignation Honours
- Scottish and Welsh devolution took a step forward with a referendum in each country
- British scientists found a link between Creutzfeldt-Jakob (mad cow) disease and eating BSE-infected meat
- The new 50 pence coin was introduced
- Born 1875, Frenchwoman Jeanne Calment, the world's oldest verified person, died aged 122 and 164 days
In the sport and entertainment worlds:
- The Reebok Stadium, the new home of Bolton Wanderers football club was opened by then deputy prime minister John Prescott
- Elton John's Candle in the Wind, remade as a tribute to Diana was released. It would become the second best-selling single worldwide of all time (after Bing Crosby's White Christmas)
- Oasis' third album, Be Here Now became the fastest selling album in UK history
- Verve told us that The Drugs Don't Work
In the tech and science worlds:
- The domain name for search engine Google was registered
- Steve Jobs returned to Apple Computer and shortly afterwards....
- Microsoft bought a $150 million share of the then financially troubled company
- Netflix was launched in California, providing DVDs by mail.