It was 20 years ago
Back in 1997 John Major was Prime Minister, making the most of his last months of power with his shirt tucked neatly into his underpants but no longer making eyes at Edwina Currie. His Government lost but within days regained it's slender one seat majority with the death of firstly a Tory then a Labour MP. He would be replaced by one T Blair in May whilst Edwina went on to become a talk show host and write several novels.
In the USA Bill Clinton became President. The Dow closed above 7000 for the first time. Other events making the headlines included:
- The NASA space shuttle Atlantis docked with Russia's Mir space station. The shuttle later return safely to earth whilst Mir suffered small fire. It 'de-orbited' in 2001 as funding was moved to the International Space Station.
- Diana, Princess of Wales, called for an international ban on landmines
- Footballer Kevin Keegan, resigned as manager of Newcastle United.
- New Zealander test bowler Danny Morrison, who managed 24 ducks in 48 innings, defied England's finest for almost three hours allowing defeat to be snatched from the arms of victory.
- In the charts 2 Became 1 for The Spice Girls whilst Madonna didn't Cry For Me Argentina.
In the tech world:
- You probably used a video recorder
- Your mobile was not as clever as you
- The Internet was typically dial up
- WiFi standards were being worked on
- Google didn't exist - children could watch a 27 minute video on how to surf the World Wide Web
- Steve Jobs had yet to return to Apple
- Microsoft shipped Office 97 for Windows. Hands up if you are still using it!